Professional Sharpeners
Please be aware that this is intended to be a transparent forum. This is to ensure the free and open exchange of ideas without unfair competition. All usernames must represent the name of the business, or the correct name of the individual.
Professional Sharpeners
Please be aware that this is intended to be a transparent forum. This is to ensure the free and open exchange of ideas without unfair competition. All usernames must represent the name of the business, or the correct name of the individual.
Professional Sharpeners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the discussion and furthering of sharpening practices. NO SELF PROMOTION.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

need to find the edge angle on gingher 8"shears

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
New Edge

need to find the edge angle on gingher 8"shears Empty
PostSubject: need to find the edge angle on gingher 8"shears   need to find the edge angle on gingher 8"shears I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 8:27 am

I received a pair of scissors to sharpen today, and I am having a tuff time measuring the angle on the knife side. Has anyone had experience at sharpening a gingher 8" shear? I know the engraved side of the shears is to be left alone and not sharpened, ( information found on-line). I saw contradicting angles from sights online.
This is a fussy but good customer, I want to do it right. I'm using a tormek to sharpen the scissors, no doubt it can't be done just need to find the magic number. Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
cid5

PostSubject: Re Angles   need to find the edge angle on gingher 8"shears I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2014 3:58 am

I know this is an old post and it looks like not many posts on this site
We sharpen lots of knife edge shears, most are Gingher.
To find the angle on any shear, mount it in what ever holder you have and do a scratch test with your wheel, you can then see if you need to increase or decrease your angle of your tool holder, to match the blade angle. One of the blades will almost always be 25 degrees.
You do need to do both blades but each will be a different angle.

Cid5
Mity Sharp Sharpening Service
Back to top Go down
Bill Cochran

PostSubject: Re: need to find the edge angle on gingher 8"shears   need to find the edge angle on gingher 8"shears I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2015 11:44 am

I use a non permanent red marker pen and draw along the edge. Mount the blade in your jig and draw it along your abrasive wheel. If all of the ink is removed you have set your jig at the correct angle. If it's too steep it'll remove the ink furthest away from the cutting edge and if it's too shallow it'll remove just a fine line of ink on the cutting edge. You want to remove as much ink as possible to avoid creating a double stepped effect on the edge. I hope this makes sense!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need to find the edge angle on gingher 8"shears   need to find the edge angle on gingher 8"shears I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

need to find the edge angle on gingher 8"shears
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Professional Sharpeners :: Tool Sharpening-
Jump to: